Recooperating and Exploding with Ideas



Yes, the sale is over. Three days of waiting and hoping for work to sell– I put in a lot of effort for the sale. Day 1: make brownies and wear a nice dress/hair/earrings, make playlist on iPod especially for the sale, and be on shift for 4 of the busiest sale hours. Day 2: on shift starting at noon, bring guitar and music books AND gigantic heavy amp to perform live music all day, and wrap pots when needed to (and refill my table because things kept selling and with only one table to arrange them on, it started looking sparse quickly). I played guitar from about 1:00pm until after 5:00pm. Day 3: refill pots, and I baked bread before going to the studio and shared a loaf with everyone I could find. I didn’t have a shift on day 3, but I felt the need to make something in the studio, so I threw ten pots. BUT on that day I also had a party to make an appearance at at 6:30pm with a dish of food and then I promised a friend to make him birthday dinner– and my mom mentioned that she would be in town sometime and wanted to catch up– I didn’t actually see her. After everything was done for the day, all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch Netflix.

On Sunday, I went into the studio thinking I would be productive because I felt like working on things– but instead, my allergy symptoms elevated to a point where I could hardly function. I started making things out of slabs, then squished all of it, squished one of the mugs I threw because it had a thin bottom, and was sneezing too much to even think about handling the delicate spoons I had pulled earlier. So I went home.

I took a picture of the plant above because its texture intrigues me. I want to translate it visually to my pots. I still have to figure it out– maybe I will illustrate it on any surviving pots from Saturday.





This is a quick picture I took on Saturday morning– I was drawing and enjoying a delicious latte out of my newest mug. I call it my Scooby-Doo mug, from the green and purple color scheme. The glaze was supposed to go Pacific blue, but the little test kiln has such uneven reduction/oxidation that I couldn’t keep one side oxidized and everything went purple. Oooohhhh, copper carbonate. How you bewilder me.


My allergies are still holding me hostage. Hope today will be better. I’ve found that sucking on lemon drops helps for some reason.


About Kira Call Ceramics

Just a girl in Wyoming playing with mud and making pottery for a living. Living the dream! :)
This entry was posted in Art, Ceramics, Daydreaming, Design, Drawing, Nature, Photography, Science, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s